Profile Pic

Monday, August 2, 2010

Waiting not wasting

So many of us spend our whole lives waiting.  We begin waiting for the day that we will get our license, then the day that we will graduate high school, then we cannot wait until we graduate college.  We wait for God to bring Mr/Mrs right, then we wait for God to bless us with the dream job, and then we wait for God to grow our family.  We spend so much time waiting for the next best thing.  I came to that reality check at the beginning of this summer.  I have spent the last 2 years just waiting.  Waiting for Dave to finish school, waiting for my job to get easier, and most importantly waiting for God to bless us with a child.  The sad part of this realization is that a lot of that time spent waiting was actually wasting the opportunity to live.  I wanted the next best thing so bad that I forgot to try and live in what God is currently giving and doing.  Dave and I sat down at the start of this summer and decided that waiting should be living, not wasting.  So we began a summer of adventure.  We started off by backpacking through Northern Cali for almost two weeks, then off to the mountain house for a week, then the beach house for a little over a week, then Washington DC, a high school reunion, and we are closing our adventure out with a close friend's wedding.  We have truly delighted in the blessings God has given us.  We have admired the amazing creative hand of God under the largest trees in the world.  We have sat on a bench in down town Blowing Rock eating (full fat) ice cream and loving it.  We have watched the sun set on top of the widows watch at the beach.  We traveled through history in DC, and have spent more days this summer just holding hands and enjoying each others company than we have in all of last year combined.  Now that is living!  I am so thankful that God has awakened my desire to live and not waste any more time waiting.  Now begins the real challenge...our adventures are quickly coming to an end.  Dave will return to school in a few weeks.  I am back at work with no vacation time planned in the near future.  Our phone has not rang with the amazing news that we are going to be parents.  We are still in a time of waiting.  My prayer now is that in the midst of the mundane and waiting that I will continue to live in the blessings that I already have.  Psalm 90:12" Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Through waiting I am slowly gaining a heart of wisdom.  God has asked me to wait, not to waste the time He has given me.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful entry. Sounds like your summer of adventures was wonderful. What a blessing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and uplifting post! I am inspired to look at my own life and do the same. We should all have such a wonderful perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete