Profile Pic

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

No longer living safe

I feel like God brings things that I need to learn in waves. Maybe because I have to be knocked over in order to hear them. God is faithful to bring up the same message until I begin to get it. Lately, the theme has been living out loud, live like your dieing, don't live the safe life, take chances for God, ect. Our church has been talking about "the end times", and with that asking the questions- What are we putting off that we really need to be doing now? What is important to us? What do we need to be doing while we wait for Jesus to return? He IS coming back and we do not know the day or time, so in a churchy kind of way- are we ready? I feel like for the first time in my life I could listen to that message being preached and actually think of some examples.
I am risking my heart and basically our bank account to follow God's plan to adopt. I am jumping off the edge of that cliff and praying that God is big enough to provide the finances to complete our adoption, and the faith to raise an adopted child- that is probably one of the most scary and trusting things I have ever done!
Dave is in school and working at our church so that he can go into the schools and bring the Gospel to lost students. I can only imagine what God will do with that. We cannot out give or out trust God. He will always out bless and out provide us.
I am trying to be bold and let the people I work with see the hope that I have in Christ. I am trying not to keep this amazing gift I have to myself. To share in actions, but also in words. I don't want to just be the nice girl at work, but to have an answer for what I believe. His word will not return void.
It is amazing to me to learn lessons like this one. If it were up to me I would be living the safe, easy, middle of the road life. I love comfort. I am not one to take any kind of risk, or do anything out of the ordinary of people's expectations. I am that girl clinging to the balance beam of life content to be safe. Never to ripple the waters of this world. I would probably be a consumeristic Christian who goes to church to grow, but not serve. Goes to work to make money, but not impact lives for Christ. Goes through life getting things done, completing the routine, but never stopping to ask herself what God really wants from me. It took the grace of God and the little wake up calls of life not turning out quite like I thought it would to open my eyes to this crazy life God has for us if we will only make small steps of faith.
I have so much to learn, but I pray that what I have learned from these trials will not be forgotten. When I get to Heaven I want to know that I did something to bring glory to God, or had an impact on someones eternity. What I am thankful for most of all is trial because through trial I have learned perseverance and through that I have become more rooted in my belief of an abundant life through living for God's will and not my own.

1 comment:

  1. Crystal,
    What a raw and honest post. You are far from a consumeristic Christian who lives a safe life. Maybe you were when you were growing up in high school but ever since I have known you (since you moved to Charlotte) You have not been happy to settle for average. You want to know God's plan. It is the patient waiting and listening that is so hard to do.
    Amanda Foltz
    Call me.

    ReplyDelete