Profile Pic

Monday, December 15, 2014

What defines us

I've been defined by numbers for as long as I can remember.  When I was young it was: How many siblings do you have? How old are you? But as early as middle school it became: How much do you weigh? What size clothes do you wear? And those continued on into adulthood.  Slowly I added How many calories? How long did you workout? To top off all of those numbers: How many kids do you have? was added to the long list of numbers that have defined me.

For women especially we are bombarded by numbers that try to define us.  For much of my life the number on the scale and on the inside of my clothes has determined my mood, self worth, and so much more.  It is exhausting to be a slave to these numbers.  Even if you achieve those perfect numbers they never fill you with all the things you are searching for.

My journey has included an eating disorder, anxiety, depression, and a life long battle to take back the battle ground that is my heart and mind.  It hasn't been a pretty journey by any means, but the battle to be defined by something besides a number was well worth it.  That 13 year old mean girl that lived in my mind constantly belittling God's marvelous creation has now been silenced (on most days).

Working out is no longer to punish myself for having that slice of pizza and lose something.  It is to gain strength and sanity.  It is a nice thing I do for myself because I value the temple God lives in.  I eat to be filled with the right things instead of starving myself of nutrition and depriving myself of the "wrong" things. I fill my mind with God's opinion of me and attempt to tune out the harsh opinion of the media and others around me.

I started this journey to be a health coach because I want to share this freedom with other women.  Being healthy has has very little to do with a number.  I want to help women discover the true health that comes from being fully alive.
Ephesians 3:19
" May you experience the love of Christ though it is too great to fully understand. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."
If you need a cheerleader to walk beside you to help you find your health and freedom It would be my privilege to cheer you on!

No comments:

Post a Comment